Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Flashback to 5-3-11 - a very quick 64 minutes

I never had a chance to post how things unfolded on May 3rd when the trips were born.

Courtney called and awoke me from my REM sleep at 12:11 a.m. to tell me her water had broke and that I should come to the hospital, if convenient.  I quickly recognized her sarcasm and called my aunt who lives a mile or two away to come over and watch Austin.

Miami valley hospital is 25 miles away with a slight additional detour for construction.
It was also raining very, very heavily that night and the last five miles of the drive is heavy construction with many pot holes.  i parked my car in the garage, walked into the hospital and took the elevator up to the second floor after checking in at the desk.

Someone handed me a full set of scrubs to put on, including what seemed like size 8 footies to cover size 13 feet.   I felt like a participant in a bad skit at a minor league baseball game.  Next i was directed into the delivery room and to a chair next to courtney.   At 1:15am cayden was born.   From dead sleep in Troy to dad of four in 64 minutes in Dayton. 

Dr. Glover, one of the docs from the high risk group Courtney was seeing, was on call and delivered the trips.  She also delivered Austin and said that it was the first time she had delivered 4+ kids for one family. 
Gabe's water broke setting the whole chain of events in place.  Dr. Glover commented on the amazing wide-eyed looks that Cayden and Ryleigh gave her as they stared up from the womb just prior to being delivered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment